Visit St. Peter’s Dome in the Vatican. Meet your guide on St. Peter’s Square and stroll across the piazza into the Vatican City, where your climb begins.
VATICAN TOUR & ST. PETER'S DOME CLIMB
- Adult ages 18-99
- Child ages 6-17
- Infant ages 0-5
Begin your day at the Vatican with an ascent to the top of St. Peter’s Dome where you’ll take in the most unforgettable view of Rome before entering the Basilica itself to marvel at masterpieces by Michelangelo and Bernini. After a short break we’ll regroup in time for our top rated tour of the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel to complete this unforgettable Vatican City experience.
- Tour the Vatican literally from “Top to bottom” with this exclusive guided tour
- Get up close and inside Michaelangelo’s majestic dome and experience a view of Rome like no other
- Visit the “Vatacombs,” the eerie resting place of former Popes beneath St. Peter’s Basilica
- Let the countless masterpieces of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel leave you speechless
Meet your expert Vatican guide by St. Peter’s Square and leave Rome behind you as you cross over into Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica just as they open to the public. Once inside, get ready to take in the most spectacular views of Rome as the elevator carries you up to the Terrace Level of the Basilica (or walk if you prefer and earn yourself a gelato later)! Suddenly the “tiny” mosaics you saw detailing the circumference of the dome from the ground level will appear massive in their golden splendor right before your eyes.
At the Terrace level decide whether to relax and take in the view or climb the remaining 320 steps up to the summit, where the breathtaking view of Rome and beyond is simply unparalleled.
As what goes up must come down, join us on a descent into the lower level of the Basilica to experience the “Vatacombs,” where former Popes lie in ornate caskets and effigies crafted by the most celebrated artists of the centuries. Next on this adventure will be an in-depth visit of St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic Church in the world including world renowned masterpieces by Renaissance masters such as Michelangelo, Raphael and Bernini.
Enjoy a short break and a snack before we reconvene for skip-the-line entry to the Vatican Museums, arguably the most important collection of art in the world. Your guide will accompany you through the museum and navigate its more than 1,200 galleries while emphasizing the Rooms of Raphael, the Ancient Roman and Greek pieces in the Belvedere Courtyard, and the Gallery of Maps while ensuring that you stay on track with an eye on the ultimate prize: the Sistine Chapel.
Much of this tour will be dedicated to the Chapel, from its commissioning to the finishing touches applied by none other than Michaelangelo Buonarroti, as your guide helps you to discern between myth, fact, and popular Hollywood fiction regarding this majestic work of art.
5 hours (tour is broken into 2 segments, each 2 hours long with a 1 hour break in between).
- Expert local guide
- Tickets to St. Peter’s Dome
- Guided visit to St. Peter’s Basilica
- Access to the Vatacombs, Papal crypts beneath St. Peter’s
- Skip the line tickets to the Vatican Museums
- Guided tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Small groups of max 20 participants
- Hotel pickup and dropoff
- Visit to the Necropolis / Scavi
Important to Know:
- The final ascent by foot to the Dome summit requires climbing 320 somewhat steep steps in a confined area. People suffering from claustrophobia or any other health conditions that could pose a problem should strongly consider remaining at the terrace level.
- Tour departs rain or shine
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour.
Important to Bring:
- Comfortable shoes for walking and stair climbing