Immerse yourself in the history of Ancient Rome alongside an expert archaeologist guide as you walk in the footsteps of Gladiators and Caesars who inhabited Roma Caput Mundi.
COLOSSEUM AND PRISON OF ST. PETER
- Adult ages 18-99
- Child ages 6-17
- Infant ages 0-5
A Journey Back in Time
Step back in time as your expert guide brings the most important temples and shrines of the Roman Forum to life for you. Journey through the Colosseum in the footsteps of Gladiators of Rome who killed and survived, or died for the entertainment of the masses! Then visit the famous Mamertine Prison and learn about the captivating life of St. Peter who was held captive here before his crucifixion.
- Skip-the-line access means you bypass queues at the Colosseum AND Roman Forum
- So many takeaways! Learn the meaning of “Caput Mundi,” what’s all the fuss about a she-wolf, and why is St. Peter so important in Roman History?
- A fully guided tour followed by an interactive video guide provide the best of both worlds
Meet your guide just steps from the Colosseum where you’ll want to take some pictures of the spectacular view before we descend to the entrance.
Enjoy fast track entry to the vast arena, the Icon of Rome built in 72ad to seat up to 50,000 spectators. Once inside, your guide will paint an accurate picture of the Gladiator games that took place in the Roman Empire’s most impressive arena, helping you to decipher between fact, fiction, and the images portrayed by big-screen Hollywood blockbusters.
After walking around the perimeter of the Colosseum, gaze down onto the arena floor and beneath to the maze-like underground level where man and beast awaited their moment of glory or met their fateful death.
Follow your guide outside the arena and travel even further back in time as you enter the Roman Forum, the true heart of Ancient Rome with monuments dating as far back as the 7th century BC. Learn of the legendary founding of Rome on the Palatine hill and how a she-wolf rescued and nursed the young twins Romulus (the first King of Rome) and Remus after they washed up on the banks of the Tiber River, and how these famous twins would pave the way for future tyrants, Emperors, and even Caesars who declared themselves Gods throughout the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.
As the guided segment of this tour comes to a close, prepare to take in one of the most fascinating yet little known sites of Ancient Rome just a few steps from the forum. Present your PDF ticket at the entrance and enjoy an in-person visit with a multimedia video guide to the 7th century BC Mamertine Prison where according to early Christian tradition, Emperor Nero ordered the incarceration of Saints Peter and Paul prior to their execution. View the altar that commemorates the imprisonment of the two saints as well as the remains of the ancient cistern where St. Peter reputedly baptized his fellow captives.
Tour offered: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
Duration: Approx. 3 hours (2 hours guided, 30 minutes with video guide, break in-between)
- Priority access tickets to the Colosseum
- Fully guided tour inside the Colosseum and Roman Forum
- Entry tickets and video guide to the Mamertine Prison
- Small groups of max 20 participants
- Hotel pickup and dropoff
- Live guide inside the Mamertine Prison
- Personal extras
Important to Know:
- The ground in the Roman Forum is composed of large stone or dirt pathways that can be difficult to navigate with strollers or wheelchairs.
- Only small bags or purses are allowed in the Colosseum. No large bags or weapons allowed, and there is no cloakroom available.
- Tour departs rain or shine
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour. Contact us to determine the best way to visit Ancient Rome with small children or guests confined to wheelchairs.
Important to Bring:
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- A hat and sunblock during summer months